OK, so this recipe isn’t 100% traditional, but neither am I. Pad See Ew is one of my all time favorite recipes to order when I go out for Thai so when I have a chance to make at home, I elevate the spice and modify the recipe, as needed in order to use what I have at home, rather than making another trip to the store!
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
8 oz baby broccoli, sliced thin
12 oz thawed, raw shrimp- peeled, tails removed and cut in half
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp pure sesame oil
1 egg, beaten with the sesame oil
6 oz dried rice noodles or favorite spaghetti/linguine noodle (I used spaghetti)
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tsp honey
2 tbsp water
1 tsp sriracha
1. Bring pot of water to a boil and cook noodles per cooking instructions for al dente- do not salt the water!
2. While pasta is cooking, heat a 12-14 inch flat sided pan with olive oil and add mushrooms, garlic and 1 tbsp water. Cover with lid and let steam for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add broccoli and red pepper flakes, stir and add the lid back on for another 2 minutes.
4. Beat the egg with sesame oil in a small dish.
5. Make the sauce.
6. Add shrimp to the pan, quickly stir to combine and move everything to one side of the pan.
7. Spray clean/empty side of the pan with cooking spray and pour in the egg. Let sit for about 30-45 seconds and then begin to scramble and break up.
8. Strain pasta
9. Add sauce and pasta to the pan and stir everything together to combine.
10. Remove from heat and let the pasta soak up some of the sauce for another minute or two.