Let’s get ahead of Halloween week and do yourself a favor- make these bowls, mixed with a slightly spicy vinaigrette!
1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp worchestershire sauce
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
pinch of onion powder
pinch of black pepper
1 cup barley, cooked and cooled
5-6 Lacinato Kale leaves, rinsed, stemmed and chopped
1/2 head cauliflower, rinsed and cut into florets
8 oz baby Bella mushrooms, cleaned and halved/quartered
1/2 medium shallot, sliced
1 package of Brussels sprouts, cleaned and quartered
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Add all vegetables, except kale, on the baking sheets, toss with a light drizzle of avocado or olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread out so they can char instead of steam. Bake for 30-40 minutes until vegetables are cooked through and slightly crispy.
3. While veggies bake, whisk together the dressing until well combined. Adjust spices to taste.
4. In a large bowl, add the kale, barley and half of the dressing. Toss to combine.
5. After veggies are cooked, let cool for 5-10 minutes and then add to the large bowl. Toss to combine and add the remaining dressing, if needed.
Depending on if you are serving as is for a meal or as a side will determine your servings. If adding a protein and avocado or cheese or nuts, you can portion into 4 bowls. If eating as is, you maybe want to portion into 2 or 3 servings.
I divided mine into 2 servings and topped each one with 1/2 of a medium avocado.