I don't know about you, but a bowl full of half super fresh raw ingredients, topped with crispy roasted ones, is just about the best combo EVER. Feel free to mix and match in here but i'll lay out the basics of how I'd construct this salad and I hope you find a way to make it your own! Meat is obviously optional, as chickpeas are an excellent source of protein.
1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained and dried on a towel, removing any loose skins that fell off.
3 medium sweet potatoes- peeled and diced into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp (for potatoes)+ 1 tsp (for chickpeas) Avocado or Olive Oil
6-8 cups kale, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1 medium avocado, sliced
4 spinach feta chicken sausages (optional)- I used Aldi brand Never Any!
1/2 cup hummus - 2 tbsp per salad (I used Cedar's brand, garlic hummus)
1 tbsp tahini
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (I used Fage 2%)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tbsp za'atar
1. Preheat oven to 450 and line 1 large baking sheet and 2 small baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Add diced sweet potatoes to the large sheet pan and toss with avocado oil and season as you wish. I did 1/4 tsp of the following: chili powder, salt and cumin. Bake for 30 minutes in total, remove after 15 minutes to stir and bake for another 15.
3. In the last 10 minutes of the sweet potato baking time, add the chickpeas to one of the small baking sheets (plain, no seasoning or oil yet) and bake. Add chicken sausage to the 3rd small baking sheet and bake during this time too.
4. Mix the dressing in a large bowl and add kale and lemon juice. Toss to combine and set aside.
5. Remove all pans from the oven. Drizzle chickpeas with 1 tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat and put in the oven for 5 more minutes.
6. While chickpeas toast, slice chicken sausage.
7. Build your bowls: divide kale between 4 bowls and top with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, chicken sausage, hummus and avocado.