I make a variation of this farro probably once a month. This is the first time I've thrown in frozen peas in and it gives you another layer or texture and color. I personally love this dish for breakfast, served warm over a bed of baby spinach and with a poached egg on top. Make ahead and reheat for a hosted brunch and you've got yourself a star dish!
Serves 5 (2/3 cup serving)
1 cup dry farro, rinsed (I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Farro)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used Swanon Bone Broth)
8 oz baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
2/3 cup frozen green peas
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Black pepper to taste
1. In a non stick or stainless steel skillet (with deep sides) add olive oil, farro and garlic. Toast the farro for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, salt and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
3. At this point, remove lid and taste the farro to see if it is cooked through, it should still have a nice chew to it. If it's not ready, keep the lid off and stir every few minutes, check every 5.
4. Once the farro is cooked through, add in the frozen peas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat and add lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper and parmesan cheese.
6. Serve hot, room temperature or cold.