This soup is a big bowl of comforting goodness. The spice from the sausage marries with the sweetness the sweet potato and all of the other veggies.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t worry, I’ll list a stovetop option at the end!
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium yellow or white onion, diced
4 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 spicy chicken Italian Sausage, raw, casings removed
2 cups water
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and spiralized or halved and sliced thin
1 bunch of kale (about 6-8 sprigs), stem removed and chopped
1/2 cup dried barley, rinsed
4 cups of low sodium chicken bone broth (or your favorite chicken or vegetable stock)
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 lemon, juices- save til the end!
1. Turn Instant Pot on sauté, add olive oil, onions, mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté 3-4 minutes.
2. Add chicken sausage and garlic to the pot and stir to break up Sausage and brown for about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and stir to deglaze the pot.
3. Add all remaining ingredients, stir and add lid and change the setting to rice.
4. When the timer goes off for the Instant Pot, carefully quick release the pressure until it is safe to remove the lid.
5. Add lemon juice, stir and serve.
1. In a stock pot, turn the heat on to medium and follow steps 1 and 2 above.
2. Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
3. Add remaining ingredients (Expect lemon juice), stir, add lid and turn down to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Turn off heat, add lemon juice, stir and serve.