I‘ll admit it. I had cake, pepperoni, cheese and crackers for lunch today. It was a bridal shower, OK??
Anyways, even though I ate like crap, I still needed to eat and I’m on my own tonight for dinner.
Sometimes I love meals for one because of their simplicity and because I don’t always need to eat the same thing for multiple meals.
This meal is quick, for one and is vegan...unless you add some toppings I recommend below.
1 cup dry whole wheat fusilli pasta
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup shredded brussels sprouts
1 cup kale, chopped and stems removed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup baby spinach, chopped
1/2 lemon, juice and zested
1 piece crispy bacon, crumbled
1 heaping tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 medium avocado, sliced
1. Cook pasta per directions for el dente
2. Heat a non stick pan to medium-high heat and add olive oil, salt and brussel sprouts- stir and sauté for 2-3 minutes
3. Add kale, garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan. Continue to stir while pasta cooks.
4. Strain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water- add both to the pan and remove pan
5. Add spinach, lemon zest and juice and stir until spinach is wilted.
6. Garnish with optional ingredients listed above and additional fresh cracked black pepper and salt, as needed