Smoky, creamy, savory and spicy! Can you believe these are gluten free and dairy free? To make these vegetarian, omit the ground turkey and replace with more black beans or roasted mushrooms.
8 fajita-sized tortillas (I used Siete Chickpea Flour Tortillas)
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 cup cooked rice (I used cooked white rice)
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 15 oz can light coconut milk
3 chipotles in adobo
1 tbsp adobo sauce
8 tbsp dairy free cream cheese (I used Kite Hill jalapeno spread) - this is optional
Jalapeno's, sliced thin
Avocado, sliced thin
In a blender or food processor, add 1/2 cup of the black beans, 1/2 can of the tomato paste, 1 tsp garlic powder, coconut milk, chipotles and adobo sauce. Blend until completely pureed. Set aside.
1. In a large non stick sauce pan, add the ground turkey and 1/4 cup of water. Saute until the turkey is cooked through.
2. Add the remainder of the can of tomato paste, cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, remainder of of the can of black beans and rice. Stir until combined and season with salt and pepper, as needed. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a 9x13 casserole dish, add 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce and spread along the bottom.
3. In a non stick frying pan, toast the tortillas for 15-20 on each side to make them more pliable.
4. Spread 1 tbsp of the dairy free cream cheese on the tortilla and add 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture to the center of the tortilla. Fold both sides of the tortilla to the middle and place seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat with remaining 7 tortillas.
5. Pour roughly 2-3 tbsp of enchilada sauce over each enchilada, ensuring that tortilla has been saturated. You may have leftover sauce which you could heat up and serve if you want more for your enchiladas.
6. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5 until bubbly.
7. Garnish with cilantro, fresh jalapeno slices and avocado.
*you may have leftover Turkey, which you could save for leftover salad or tacos.
Serves 4- 2 enchiladas each.