This dish has all the flavors- sweet, spicy and salty. Served with a side of my husband’s spicy and crispy baked cottage fries. See below for a quick meal with easy cleanup!
2 large russet potatoes
1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
1 Lb ground beef (I used 90/10)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used Pablo)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage 2%)
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
2-4 tbsp cold water (I started with 2 and added as needed depending on desired thickness)
1/4 tsp granuated garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
Additional/Optional Ingredients for Serving
Naan bread (I used Aldi’s Mini naan bread)
Spinach tossed in lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Fill a large bowl with cold water. Clean and cut potatoes to 1/4 inch thickness (we find using a serrated knife works best if not using a mandolin). Place potatoes in the bowl of water and let soak for 10 minutes.
3. Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and keep in the fridge
4. Remove potatoes from the bowl and dry off on a tea towel or paper towels. Rinse and dry the bowl (you will continue to use this bowl).
5. Add potatoes to the bowl with oil, toss to coat and lay evenly on the baking sheet. Season to your liking, be careful with the chipotle powder- a little bit goes a long way! Place potatoes in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Add meatball ingredients to the bowl, mix with hands to combine- don’t over mix. Using a cookie scoop, portion out the meatballs on the 2nd baking sheet. These won’t go in the oven until we flip the potatoes.
7. After the potatoes have baked for 20 minutes, remove from oven, carefully flip so you don’t get burned, season the flipped side and put back in the oven along with the meatballs. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. If meatballs are finished before the potatoes, remove them first put a few naan in the oven to heat through for 2-3 minutes. Remove naan and potatoes from oven.
9. Assembly: On a toasted naan, spread a little tahini-yogurt sauce, dressed spinach, meatballs, feta and additional sauce if desired. Serve with a side of potatoes.