A kale Caesar salad topped with crumbled bacon, Parmesan cheese, avocado, toasted sprouted grain croutons and a yolky poached egg. What’s not to love? Make the dressing and salad ahead of time and you only need 5 minutes to poach the egg!
I got the Caesar dressing from a Skinnytaste cookbook but made modifications to the salad itself to make it my own.
Serves 1 (can double salad components to make more, dressing will make multiple servings))
2 tsp anchovy paste
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp cold water
2-3 cups clean and chopped kale (I used Lacinato)
2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
1 piece crispy bacon (optional if you prefer this to be a vegetarian salad)
1/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 slice sprouted grain bread
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 avocado, sliced
1. Combine dressing ingredients in a food processor (or whisk by hand) until combined.
2. Combine salad ingredients in a medium bowl and toss with 1-2 tbsp of the dressing and let sit.
3. Poach the egg. I follow this process every time and it never fails: bring a medium sauce pan, filled a few inches high with water to a simmer. Crack the egg into a ramikin. Add a capful if distilled vinegar to simmering water and turn off the heat. Using a spoon, swirl to create a tornado like effect in the saucepan and gently slide the egg in. Cover with lid, no peeking for 5 minutes.
4. While the egg poaches, heat a non stick skillet to medium high heat, add 1/2 tsp olive oil and swirl the bread around on both sides, sprinkle with garlic salt on both sides and let toast, 1-2 minutes per side until preferred doneness.
5. When egg is done, use a slotter spoon to remove from water and set on a paper towel to soak up the excess water. Add to salad.
6. Slice avocado- add to salad
7. Cut bread into bite size croutons and add to salad.
Drizzle with additional dressing as needed or save for another time in a sealed container in the fridge!